List:       sidewinder
Subject:    Re: [Sidewinder] Proxy Errors?
From:       Sidewinder moderated discussion list <sidewinder () adeptech ! com>
Date:       2007-04-24 20:41:46

On 4/24/07, Sidewinder moderated discussion list
<sidewinder@adeptech.com> wrote:
> Recently we have been seeing errors while accessing websites. It doesn't
> happen consistently and refreshing the site a few times always allows the
> site to load. The firewall seems to be functioning otherwise. Has anyone
> witnessed this before?

I've seen quite a few proxy errors, but that one is particularly
unenlightening.  If you look in /etc/sidewinder/http, there are a
number of HTTP error files, these contain the text of the errors,
there are two files with this text, CONNECTION and
SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE.

The details on why the firewall threw this error are in the audit log,
but by default they are not exposed to the client making the request.
This can be overridden by editing these files on the firewall and then
restarting the proxy.

To make the error HTML more informative, check out my custom HTTP
errors script, at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sidewinder-users/files/Scripts/

This script updates the contents of /etc/sidewinder/http to put more
detailed information into the error displayed to the end user.  This
may or may not be considered too much information for your local
security posture, but it sure helps with debugging.

Kevin