List:       sidewinder
Subject:    Re: [Sidewinder] FYI, a 6.1.1.04 to 6.1.2.03 upgrade report.
From:       Sidewinder moderated discussion list <sidewinder () adeptech ! com>
Date:       2007-02-13 19:18:29

On 2/12/07, Sidewinder moderated discussion list
<sidewinder@adeptech.com> wrote:
> Technically the SideWinder is correct, a 304 is not supposed to have any
> body within the header.

Absolutely.  However, I'm not sure that returning an error message to
the end-user is the appropriate response?  I don't know of ANY other
web proxy which fails in this manner.

There are quite a few web servers which are non-RFC-compliant in this
manner, and so we get dozens of complaints from internal customers
when they get a evil looking firewall error message just accessing
'drudgereport.com' (try leaving it up on your screen to auto-refresh).

Our workaround has been to use proxy.pac to direct specific known-bad
web sites to be processed through squid, but this is not a long-term
solution, due to the removal of Squid from Sidewinder in the near
future.

Kevin Kadow  /  kkadow@gmail.com  /  http://tinyurl.com/3znu8