List:       sidewinder
Subject:    Re: [Sidewinder] considering dropping the old reporting
From:       Sidewinder moderated discussion list <sidewinder () adeptech ! com>
Date:       2006-12-29 17:11:57

	1)  "I'm a power user who finds the old reporting module
underpowered and
	useless.  I simply use perl to manipulate the audit data any way I
want."

	Is there a third category?

	3)  "I'm a user who finds the old reporting module very valuable
	because...."

We would be #3, with sometimes #1.  The GUI is OK for monitoring, but not
for reporting.  We do find the existing reports useful in some areas.  We
generate certain reports automatically by IP address range, for example, and
scan some of the reports regularly.  We don't export the data (because the
export does not seem to export *all* the data?), but we do do customized
reports using report_wrapper and friends.

So, before the old ones went away, we'd want to know what the new ones could
do.

It would also represent some work for us to migrate off the old reports.  It
would be nice to have some time to do that -- and not have to tackle that at
the same time as a major version upgrade.  So, maybe keep the old stuff
around in 7.0, but deprecate it?

JRJ