List:       sidewinder
Subject:    Re: [Sidewinder] Configuration backup To Em Failure
From:       Sidewinder moderated discussion list <sidewinder () adeptech ! com>
Date:       2006-11-20 16:23:02

See comments below.

On 11/17/06, Sidewinder moderated discussion list
<sidewinder@adeptech.com> wrote:

> I got one that is probably easy, but strangely perplexing. We are
> trying to drop a configurational backup from our firewalls {Y.Y.Y.Y} to
> our Enterprise Manager {X.X.X.X} every morning via crontab.

The default VI/VIM configuration options kind of enable this class of
issues for corporate customers, my $0.02.  If it's any consolation,
others have worn this path before you.

> I have reviewed the man pages for cf_backup and they indicate that the
> commands are:
>
>   cf syncd set key=12345abcde
>   cf config set sidedwinder_addr=111.111.111.111
> filename=ChicagoOffice
>   cf config backup loc=remote
>
> I have been able to successfully run these commands manually from all
> firewalls so I know that it is not an issue with the Enterprise Manager
> not working or not listening for the config backups.

>    # Remove yesterdays config backups of the managed firewalls to make
> way for new backups arriving shortly.
>    MM H * * *      root    Admn    /bin/rm -r
> /var/backups/repository/backup.*

The EM clean-up step is not necessary.  The backup files will over
write the previous day output, as long as the filename doesn't change.
 You should be able to confirm this by running the commands manually,
and watch the time/date stamps change on the EM repository (files, not
the directory).  Fewer moving parts is always better.

Looks like someone pointed you in the right direction on the problem
with the contrab entry.

Success,

-Len Lynch
{ lllcubed ] spat_blat { googlemail ] (unmangle address for direct interaction)