List:       sidewinder
Subject:    Re: [Sidewinder] Help Please - NTP setup
From:       sidewinder () adeptech ! com
Date:       2005-07-04 6:34:32

Hi!

> I disagree with Patrick in this instance.

Of course, you are right ;-)

> Rather, delete the server entry, you stated that you want to run a NTP
> server on the internal burb.
>
> Rule of Thumb:
> when you are client, you configure a server

Well, for a time server on a general Unix host you configure
at least one server entry, so _your_ server can synchronize
with a qualified time source (e.g. pool.ntp.org or ntp[12].ptb.de)
and additionally you configure appropriate restrictions so
your clients can then sync with your server. Unless you have
a DCF77 receiver or similar connected to the system.

The "magic" that is necessary on the G2 is due to making
the "time" cross burb boundaries.

Regards,

Patrick M. Hausen
Leiter Netzwerke und Sicherheit
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100