List:       sidewinder
Subject:    [Sidewinder] Cleo Lexicom EDI to DCX not working through Sidewinder
From:       sidewinder () adeptech ! com
Date:       2004-05-21 14:51:11

Yesterday morning we switched our WAN over to our new Sidewinder G2 6.1.0.01 firewall \
(from a Symantec Enterprise Firewall 7.0.4).  We have a customer on our WAN \
(different subnet across a router) that uses Cleo Lexicom software on a Linux server \
to do EDI with DaimlerChrysler (DCX).  For some reason, this fails on the Sidewinder \
G2.  I verified it still works on the old firewall by changing the route for their \
router back to it.

While this traffic was still on the new firewall, I watched both the audit log and \
tcpdump on both firewall interfaces.  What I saw in the audit log was the conn_open \
via the ACL using the correct rule.  Then, about 80 seconds later, I see the \
conn_close, with nothing in between.  In the tcpdump for the external interface \
(em0), I see the three-way TCP handshake take place between the firewall (proxy rule) \
and the DCX server.  Then, nothing else comes from the DCX server.  I continue to see \
attempts by the firewall proxy to talk (via HTTPS) to the DCX server for a a while \
afterwards before it gives up.  On the internal interface (em1), I see the three way \
handshake between DCX and the Lexicom server, and then nothing else.

As a test, I set up an IP filter rule for this traffic so I could eliminate the proxy \
and packet inspection.  I created a rule that allowed all TCP traffic from the \
customer Lexicom server to the DCX server.  The results were the same.  I also tried \
turning off inspection on the proxy rule, with the same results.

Right now, we're checking settings in Lexicom to see if something needs to be \
changed, and the customer is calling DCX EDI support.  I'm also going to open a tech \
support case with Secure Computing.  I was hoping someone on the list has experience \
with Cleo Lexicom and DCX communications and might know exactly what's going on.  Of \
course, that's pretty unlikely....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rod Johnson
mushin@techie.com