List:       sidewinder
Subject:    [Sidewinder] Appliance info
From:       sidewinder-admin () adeptech ! com
Date:       2004-03-09 17:46:30

Having seen a number of messages regarding Sidewinder appliances, and having
talked with the folks out in Minnesota (does that make it info straight from the
horse's mouth?), here's what the deal is:

- New 6.1 customers (or at least new 6.1 Sidewinder boxes) can only be purchased
on an appliance platform.

- Current customers who have ANY current supported version of Sidewinder
available can run 6.1 _on their own hardware_ after calling support to request
an upgrade CD. (note: you can still buy new 6.0 software only) (note2: you have
to still meet min hardware reqs for 6.1)

- Current plans call for he next major release (version 7?) to be an appliance
only system, with no upgrade path like the current 6.1 system.  See Bryan's
email below for some of the why's.

- Some other possible why's:
 * Secure could ditch the antiquated way they size their Sidewinders and go in
favor of a bandwidth approach (like most of the other fw vendors out there).
 * There's a general trend in the industry to buy appliances.  It's a way for
companies to pay less to their own administrators because then they don't have
to know as much.  Yes, the products get more pricey because then they're
including hardware, but that's a one-time cost that can be buried in leasing
terms rather than have to have their FTEs do the work to spec, source and
maintain their own hardware.
--
Brian