List:       sidewinder
Subject:    RE: [Sidewinder] Rekey message that log that makes no sense
From:       sidewinder-admin () adeptech ! com
Date:       2003-12-17 16:22:35

Dan,

	The four possible states here for your IKE negotiation are larval,
mature, dying, or dead.  This state is related to the life of the SA.  A
larval state should indicate a very new key exchange whereas a dying state
would indicate that a rekey is needed.  In IKEv2 if there are a large number
of connections in a larval state rekeys will switch from stateful to
stateless to help prevent DoS attacks that use up all system resources by
sending partial IKE requests to the VPN device.  Thats all I remember about
this.  You might find more information in the IPSec RFCs.

Regards,
Jeffery Gieser