List:       sidewinder
Subject:    [Sidewinder] RE: Sidewinder digest, Vol 1 #353 - 7 msgs
From:       sidewinder-admin () adeptech ! com
Date:       2003-05-19 15:19:12

We have upgraded from Gauntlet 5.5 NT to Sidewinder 5.2.1.08 .  Generally,
it went well.  I was able to write some scripts to interpret our rules and
build commands for Sidewinder.  We did a LOT of testing (we put in 400
person-hours, total, including the scripting), first in the lab, and later
during production testing/change windows.  The VPN support has been much
better than that under Gauntlet 5.5 NT (i.e., it works).  It sure was nice
to get back to a Unix-based platform.  We only went to NT Gauntlet because
the Oracle proxy wasn't available for the HP Unix platform, and we didn't
want to introduce another Unix platform into our environment.  (Of course,
in a sense, the Sidewinder BSD-based platform *is* another Unix platform,
but because of how Secure Computing did the installation and so on, we are
comfortable, because they have already taken care of any necessary
hardening).

The Oracle proxy has been fine.  However, it does not support the SID
security that the Oracle-provided proxy did.  We also found something of a
bug that caused us to have to turn off Fast Path for the Oracle proxy.  Very
fast clients were having problems.

JRJ

Message: 5