List:       sidewinder
Subject:    RE: [Sidewinder] Veritas NetBackup and Sidewinder setup
From:       sidewinder-admin () adeptech ! com
Date:       2003-04-09 14:30:00

>The specific setting uses bpcd (TCP port 13782) and vnetd (TCP port
>13724).  Veritas claims that the only way to make this work is to
>_not_ employ proxies, but exclusively use the ipfilter settings,
>"because the proxy firewalls modify the packets too much".

There is a difference[1] between using the generic TCP proxy and the filter
even when you configure the proxy to use the original IP address.  Namely,
the application proxy changes the source port.  If the Veritas software
rejects the packets if they have a different source port then what it
expects, then what they say would be true.

[1] From my tests on 5.2.1.xx.  I didn't see, but perhaps missed, an option
to change that behavior for the TCP proxy.