List:       sidewinder
Subject:    Re: [Sidewinder] DCOM through Sidewinder ?
From:       sidewinder-admin () adeptech ! com
Date:       2002-10-18 20:31:04

Fernando,

We use DCOM through the firewall and we ended up creating a range of about
200 ports for DCOM to use.  Microsoft doesn't understand how a socket works
so you actually need a unique destination port for each DCOM process.

Regards,
Jeffery Gieser

                                                                                      \

                    sidewinder-admin@ad                                               \

                    eptech.com                To:     sidewinder@adeptech.com         \

                                              cc:                                     \

                    10/18/2002 02:59 PM       Subject:     [Sidewinder] DCOM through \
                Sidewinder ?
                    Please respond to                                                 \

                    sidewinder                                                        \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

Hello:
           Do you have some experience about Microsoft DCOM services
through
Sidewinder ?
           We are using Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a (128 bits) with IIS
4.0
on both sides, in the DMZ are only the web pages that reference the
components on the internal machine.
           We know that DCOM use several ports from 1024 to 65535 and we
read
in a Microsoft paper that the ports can be restricted, but under board
conditions the software hangs up.
           We want to use an small range or singular ports to allow DCOM
protocol from DMZ to internal burb.

Regards ...
                    Fernando Allendes Fernández
Ingeniero de Seguridad de Redes / Network Security Engineer
    mailto:fallendes@northsupply.NOSPAM.cl       http://www.northsupply.cl
          La Concepción 177, Providencia, Santiago, Chile.
       Teléfono: (56) 2 550 58 00  - Fax: (56) 2 555 48 15