List:       sidewinder
Subject:    [Sidewinder] RE: Sidewinder in a testing environment
From:       Klaus_Gröger <kg () abacom ! net>
Date:       2002-03-05 16:21:33

Hi Michael,

> You wrote:
> >
> > [portions deleted]
> >
> > Our internal Network is a 172.16.0.0/16 and in these network
> our lab got the
> > 172.16.17.0/16 using the '17.' and the last 8 bit as host addresses.
> >
> > [Soft-PK/netmask stuff deleted]
> >
> > Installed on another hardware is the same version of
> Sidewinder. Assigning an
> > address 172.16.17.xx/16 causes the interface to work
> completely wrong. From an
> > 'external' host, eg. 172.16.10.5, I am able to ping the
> outer interface of the
> > Sidewinder, but it is impossible to ping from the Sidewinder
> itself. Trying to
> > establish a connection to the sidewinder from outside causes
> network sorket
> > errors.
> >
> > On both mashines everything works fine, if I assgin an official
> > address or an address from the other private pools (192.168.0.0 -
> > 192.168.255.255., 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255)
> >

> > Any ideas, did anyone had seen this Problem?
> >

> Well, off the top of my head, I'd say this is a routing
> problem.  Can you
> give me a little more specifics on exactly:
> a) What is the Sidewinder's IP address on each interface
> b) What is the netmask (each interface)
> c) What are the two end points for which you are trying to
> establish
> communication.
>
> Since you say that everything works fine with a 24-bit mask,
> perhaps the
> 16-bit mask is incorrect -- in fact, it would _only_ be valid if your
> entire "internal" network were switched or bridged; throw in a router
> or two (you can consider the Sidewinder to "break up" your network
> just like a router would) and you don't have a 16-bit mask anymore.

I know of routing :-) I know of netmasks :-)

I tried these this while the mashines where not connected to the rest of the internal \
network, I ran the mashines on an isolated hub. I dealt with this problem about two \
days. I have tested everything - yes, tested very much things :)

The other interfaces of the Sidewinder all have addresses from class c networks with \
24 bit netmasks.

I talked to several people about this, but no one had any ideas.

I will update to 52002 an will have a look, if the problem will still exsist.

Maybe there are bugs in the nic-drivers or somewhere else?

I mailed this problem to techsupport@securecomputing.com but the only thing they told \
me was:  make 'cf ipsec reload'. Hmm, that did not work :)

	Klauzi