List:       sidewinder
Subject:    RE: [Sidewinder] mail MTA
From:       "Lechner, Bryan" <bryan_lechner () securecomputing ! com>
Date:       2002-01-28 23:22:00

Secure Computing has recognized a condition with Sendmail on Sidewinder
5.2.0.01.This is evident by a lot of sendmail processes that say something
like:
    "startup with 1.2.3.4".
It is also easily identifiable by the presence of the several "CLOSE_WAIT"
states on port 25 in a netstat output, The maillog error message about
sendmails maximum children in use, or the output of the command "pss
sendmail" reporting "not accepting connections (sendmail)".

As an initial workaround, SCC support recommended the use of a crontab to
restart sendmail every 12 hours to clear these processes. While this method
was sufficient as a temporary workaround, our engineering group has provided
an engineering patch that corrects this behavior until the release of the
5.2.0.02 patch. The engineering patch is a restricted release. If you feel
that your site may need this, please contact Secure Computing's Technical
Support Center at either 1.800.700.8328 or support@securecomputing.com to
learn more about how to obtain this patch.

Regards,
Bryan Lechner
Technical Support Engineer
Secure Computing Corporation