List:       sidewinder
Subject:    Re: [Sidewinder] name resolution
From:       "Eric Holst" <Eric.Holst () mail ! co ! ventura ! ca ! us>
Date:       2001-10-29 17:50:53

I had this problem too. We needed users in a DMZ burb to be able to access a website in our internal network using just the hostname. You need to set the append_domain directive in the squid.conf file. The directive is documented in the squid.conf file.

-Eric

Eric R. Holst, CISSP
Principal Information Systems Security Analyst

Eric.Holst@mail.co.ventura.ca.us
Voice: 805.662.6622 Fax: 805.654.3394

Information Systems Department, County of Ventura
800 South Victoria Avenue, L#1100
Ventura, CA 93009

>>> "Steve Freed" <sfreed@ilm.com> 10/26/01 03:55PM >>>

Hello

In our setup, users on our local network get http access via the
WebProxy server on Sidewinder. (Version 5.2) If a user tries to access a
web server on our internal network and they use a fully qualified domain
name, it all works just fine. If they don't, they get the following
error:

   While trying to retrieve the URL: http://whosout/

   The following error was encountered:
   Unable to determine IP address from host name for whosout

   The dnsserver returned:
   DNS Domain 'whosout' is invalid: Host not found (authoritative).

I am not sure which burb/resolver this is coming from. Is there any way
to make sidewinder resolve these unqualified local names for this case?

Many thanks,

Steve.