List:       sidewinder
Subject:    Re: [Sidewinder] Cable Modem/DSL
From:       Akihiro Shirahashi <sirahasi () netone ! co ! jp>
Date:       2001-10-21 21:15:19

"Foote-Lennox, Tomo" <tomo_foote-lennox@securecomputing.com>
wrote at Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:06:26 -0500:

>The Sidewinder engineers are, of course, fanatically security conscious, and
>a number of them have one at home to protect their home networks.  The one
>technical obstacle is that most cable modems and DSL connections require a
>DHCP client to establish IP addresses.  Sidewinder has not yet implemented
>this feature, so you have to put something in front to do that.

For the DSL service, PPPoE is widely used in Japan.

Sidewinder does not support PPPoE yet, thus one should place a router
that can be a PPPoE client in front of Sidewinder.

Actually one engineer in my company uses Sidewinder at home in this way.

Akihiro Shirahashi, Net One Systems Co.,Ltd., Tokyo, Japan