List:       sidewinder
Subject:    RE: [Sidewinder] drop port 80 packets by IP filter
From:       Blahut Randall M SSgt 83 CS/SCNO <randall.blahut () langley ! af ! mil>
Date:       2001-09-24 23:29:42

Unfortunately, the discard IP filter configuration can be very complicated.
I recently discovered that certain numbers of significant bits combined with
certain address blocks within the IP filter cause these discard rules to not
work as expected.  The entire idea was to prevent unnecessary ACL
processing...  but it came at the cost of more configuration headache
upfront.  Fortunately, we can create these rules and leave them commented
out within /etc/sidewinder/ipfitlter.conf until the need arrises.  You will
lose these and other "comments" if you use the GUI or "cf ipfilter" to add
or modify IP filters.

If you create an allow TCP IP filter, it will circumvent any listening
proxy.  This may or may not be a concern.  It would be nice if Secure
Computing would allow you to create a a forward-to-listening-socket IP
filter rule syntax so you can combine layer 3 speed with application-layer
defenses.

SSgt Randy Blahut
ACC NOSC Network Security Team
83 CS/SCNN