List:       shibboleth-users
Subject:    Re: OIDC Issuer value
From:       Nate Klingenstein <ndk () sudonym ! me>
Date:       2024-04-26 16:09:52

Joanne,

It just means that the URI selected for your SAML entityID is supposed to be detached \
from your deployment. This means it can be any URI anywhere, as long as it's one you \
control. There is some common practice now for those URI's to resolve to SAML \
metadata, but I'd call it far from comprehensive.

Conversely, OIDC expects to find a specific file at a specific location on the \
recipient server (•/.well-known/openid-configuration/), so you must have an issuer \
that matches the FDQNlocation of your server. There would be no conflict with them \
beingi the same value, but it might get a little confusing, and it most likely isn't \
an option.

I hope this helps,
Nate