List:       shibboleth-users
Subject:    Re: SP under IIS with TCP connection to shibd socket errors
From:       Paul_Henson <henson () signet ! id>
Date:       2022-07-09 1:04:46

On 7/8/2022 4:05 PM, Cantor, Scott via users wrote:

 > It really depends what it looks like, but it's a possibility. I'm
 > very conservative adding code to patch releases. Just adding
 > debugging logs, maybe, but these areas of the code may not be so
 > simple to instrument, or it probably would have been already.

I don't think it's an issue of being complicated, I think it is an issue
of nobody caring before because nobody was running it in a situation
where it mattered. In the base case, the diff would just be:

     while (recv(sock,(char*)&len,sizeof(len)) != sizeof(len)) {
         if (errno == EINTR) continue;   // Apparently this happens when
a signal interrupts the blocking call.
+    log->debug("recv on %u failed, len = %d errno = %d", sock, len, errno);
         log->error("error reading size of output message");
         this->close(sock);
         throw ListenerException("Failure receiving response to remoted
message ($1).", params(1,in.name()));
     }

I want to see what socket failed for correlation with other log
messages, whether or not len was actually -1 or simply not 4, and what
the actual errno was.

 > Use the cookie feature and you get rid of the problem in minutes,
 > that's just generally a much simpler way to go than debugging
 > networking problems.

I didn't design it, I was just asked to figure out why it's not working
:). Thanks for the suggestion though, we will pass it along.

--
Signet - The Art of Access
https://www.signet.id/