List:       shibboleth-users
Subject:    Re: Modifying attributes to release in post-authentication intercept
From:       "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2022-01-27 0:08:31

I wil say that, generally speaking, if you replace the contents of the \
AttributeContext that early, you're going to change what gets encoded for a response. \
The impersonation flow does a more invasive removal of the contexts because it \
re-runs a number of steps internally to resolve them again (and it's our code so we \
have freedoms that deployer code doesn't), but actually changing the content is \
relatively safe provided you understand that anything that cared what they were \
before that happens obviously doesn't get informed, and since everything in the IdP \
can be attribute-influenced, that can certainly be lots of stuff.

You said that it didn't work when you replaced the context's content via \
setIdPAttributes(), but there's no reason that wouldn't work. Of course that setter \
doesn't take a map, it takes a Collection. The map is built on the fly for access \
after.

Also note that the unfiltered collection is equally accessible by code. So if you \
diverge the two sets wildly without any regard for that, you could have odd outcomes \
where some components see the original unfiltered data but other steps operate on the \
now-unrelated map. Filtering isn't meant to make that sort of change, it removes \
things but never adds anything. So it's in some sense a violation of expectations to \
make the two collections that distinct.

If that helps, great, otherwise I'd have to defer to a support ticket.

-- Scott

--
For Consortium Member technical support, see \