List:       shibboleth-users
Subject:    Re: Validating SAML signatures
From:       Max Spicer via users <users () shibboleth ! net>
Date:       2021-11-29 15:10:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Thanks, both. That wiki page was very helpful and with a bit of
experimentation I was able to verify the AuthnRequest signature with the
following command:

xmlsec1 --verify --pubkey-cert-pem old.pem --id-attr:ID
urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:protocol:AuthnRequest authnrequest.xml

Satisfyingly, and as expected, verification fails using the key contained
in their metadata.

I'm sadly aware that this is likely a waste of time. Nevertheless, I can
now make one last attempt to explain the issue to the SP in a way that they
can verify themselves. After that, I shall simply ignore their request to
update their metadata and/or configure the IdP to ignore their signed authn
requests.

Cheers,

Max