List:       shibboleth-users
Subject:    RE: re automating the installation of Shibboleth service provider
From:       "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2016-10-19 16:00:27

> We at ALK Technologies are using shibboleth service provider and want to
> automate the provisioning of the instance using Chef. Currently the
> installation says that it requires a reboot after installation. I would like to
> know if the reboot is necessary or optional ?

I don't think there's any way to consistently answer it, it varies by machine. \
Usually it's required, the system path has to be modified, and to the extent that it \
doesn't work if you don't reboot, well, that's why.

> Does the order of installation matter ? (like installing service provider before
> the iis etc)

If IIS is involved, it's somewhat unlikely that any automation will even work, but it \
probably depends what you expect to get out of the result. Installing the SP first \
would mean none of the IIS integration is configured, so you're leaving that to a \
manual process or some other script.

But installing the SP last doesn't generally guarantee a working IIS integration \
anyway, it depends on the box. Most IIS integrations are manual, tricky, and take a \
lot of fiddling around. Once it works, it tends to stay working, but getting it to \
that point can be a chore.

-- Scott

PS. If you're financially benefitting from the use of our software, you should be \
aware that not joining the consortium in order to help sustain it financially pretty \
much guarantees that you will be running unsupported software at some point in the \
future.

http://shibboleth.net/consortium/support.html