List:       shibboleth-users
Subject:    RE: [Shib-Users] Shibboleth.sso/Status gives page not found error
From:       "Scott Cantor" <cantor.2 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2010-04-30 17:48:58

> No it is not working from any other system other than the m/c where I
> have configured shibboleth service provider. And in that machine it was
> working only when I use the localhost.localdomain in the url.

You need to establish a canonical and correct/intended name for your web
server and configure it as appropriate, and provide metadata to the IdP that
is correct for that name information.

How you do that is up to you, and DNS is irrelevant. Names only matter when
they have to be resolved and you can do that via the client and /etc/hosts.
Your problems are due to misconfiguring your web server, metadata, or both.

If you think you can run a web server correctly without it knowing it's
name, that's the root of your confusion.

We do not advise people to mess with localhost, IP addresses, etc. because
if they run into problems, they won't know enough to fix them. Anything and
everything will work just fine (back channel connectivity aside) if you know
what you're doing and you configure your web servers properly. If you don't,
it won't.

-- Scott