List:       shibboleth-dev
Subject:    RE: Use of Metrics in the lower layers
From:       "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2016-09-09 1:49:42

> I was planning on trying metrics-spring and metrics-servlets, with the goal of
> running the health check servlet wired via Spring, protected by your new
> admin flow.

My assumption is the servlets are worthless to us other than as samples to copy into \
a flow, because they can't be secured as a webflow. I was going to look at copying \
them or adapting code from them. I doubt there's much there that's very deep.

I hadn't yet decided to spend time on the HealthCheck stuff since we'd have to \
retrofit some things to fit that.

The Spring stuff I evaluated, but it's a third-party add-on and seems to mostly be \
targeted at annotation/AutoWiring.

Now, to be fair, if there was something I could see using annotations for, it's this. \
It's basically AOP, and I think instrumenting is a great fit for that. But we \
couldn't use it in the OpenSAML layer, and we haven't used annotations with Spring at \
all, so I wasn't planning to start, or at least not without a discussion.

The other thing the Spring library does have is some custom XML support for wiring up \
the metrics and reporters, but given that it only supports the built-in reporters, \
and given that we'll likely need custom ones, it didn't look like it was going to be \
worth it. I've been playing with native Spring  wiring to get something bootstrapped, \
but I left off last night before getting fully into testing it.

-- Scott