List:       shadow
Subject:    Re: [Pkg-shadow-devel] MAIL_DIR variable
From:       Tomasz_KÅ‚oczko <kloczek () zie ! pg ! gda ! pl>
Date:       2005-07-12 10:27:44

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Nicolas [iso-8859-1] François wrote:

> Hello Tomasz,
>
> userdel and usermod need the MAIL_DIR variable to delete/move the mail box
> of the user.
> This is also the case when PAM is enabled.
>
> Thus this variable can't be removed from login.defs.
>
> The documentation of this variable should indicates that it it used by
> userdel/usermod.

OK.
Temporary I'll back MAIL_DIR to part indepemdent USE_PAM.

But final will be diffrent ..

Because:

1) diffrent users can have mail spool in diffent base location
   (for example LDAP schema allow per user diffrent mail spool base
   directory)

2) I plan remove use /etc/login.defs and move all neccessary variables to
   /etc/default/<program_name>

3) all programs which will have /etc/default/<program_name> config file
   will have -K KEY=VALUE option which will allow in command line override
   any value from /etc/default/<program_name> and -D option for
   display/save default configuration values (as same as current useradd).

userdel/usermod programs will have own /etc/default/<program_name>::MAIL_DIR
variable.

kloczek