List:       sg-dc
Subject:    RE: [sg-dc] Brief paper about passwords at cryptonomicon.net
From:       "Robert Weiss" <rweiss () itaco ! com>
Date:       2003-06-04 14:09:54

Certainly a dictionary attack that directly attacks the hashed/stored
password is one of the possibilities to be considered in developing a secure
system (particularly if the file that stores the hashes is compromised.)
However, a dictionary attack that comes in through the front door by
automating the guessing of passwords and feeding in the dictionary of
guessed passwords is also a possibility.  I am surprised at how many systems
allow for unlimited guesses and rapid return of results.  One of the best
ways to protect passworded accounts is to simply slow down the speed of the
response (just as the application to pause for 1 second) and to lock the
account after a certain number of incorrect guesses.  This would stop an
automated guessing script cold (and may give the administrator early warning
that something is happening.)  I would add these two features to best
password coding practices.

Robert Weiss
Account Manager
ITA Corporation
2401 Research Boulevard, Suite 350
Rockville, MD  20850
(301) 948-4471
FAX:  (301) 948-9639
CELL:  (240) 876-7921
rweiss@itaco.com
http://www.itaco.com
Financial, HR, Project and Front-Office System Design and Implementation
Wide-Area Network Design and Implementation