List:       sg-dc
Subject:    [sg-dc] Certifications
From:       Jim Kelly <james.kelly () wap ! org>
Date:       2003-04-16 23:45:45

I don't have 20 years experience in the security field. I administer
firewalls for a "managed firewall service" and
find my job somewhat narrow. I've been in the security field almost 4
years. I studied for and got my CISSP. I don't kid myself that it takes
the place of 20 years experience...it's not supposed to.

I did find it broadening. It forced me to read about a lot of stuff I
wouldn't ordinarily be tempted to read about, like business continuity,
IDS systems etc etc. I found that very very rewarding and interesting.
It gave me perspective I didn't have. It gave me ideas I wouldn't have
had otherwise. It made me understand the issues within the profession.
For me, it was worthwhile.

Prior to the CISSP I followed the strategy of getting certs in a field
AFTER gaining experience in it. I felt that it was a useful "fill in
the gaps" exercise.

Look certs by themselves are not the be all and end all by themselves.
But if you were interviewing a guy like me with four years
experience...and he/she had a good selection of certs IN ADDITION to
experience...wouldn't it indicate to you that that person had extra
commitment and self-motivation.

Btw, I also do self-assigned projects on my home to learn new things
too ;-)

Just my .02

jim kelly