List:       sg-dc
Subject:    [sg-dc] ANNOUNCE: Cripsin Cowan speaking on Defcon Capture the Flag
From:       John Viega <viega () securesoftware ! com>
Date:       2003-04-14 11:17:13

On April 24 at 7:30 PM, the DC Security Geeks will be hosting a free
talk by security expert Crispin Cowan at the Virginia Tech Falls Church
campus, which is on the West Falls Church Metro stop.  All interested
parties are welcome.

The details on the talk are below.  For more information, including
directions to the Virginia Tech campus, see the group web page:
http://dc.securitygeeks.com.

Feel free to disseminate this announcement to any potentially
interested parties.

SPEAKER: Crispin Cowan, Chief Scientist, WireX
TITLE:   Defcon Capture the Flag:  Defending Vulnerable Code from
Intense Attack
DATE:    April 24, 2003
TIME:    7:30 PM
ROOM:    214

ABSTRACT:

Defcon's Capture the Flag (CtF) game is the largest open computer
security hacking game.  Last year's CtF had rules that made it
particularly difficult to be a successful defender.  We entered an
Immunix server, comprised of five years of DARPA-funded technologies,
to see whether this system could survive sustained attack from
determined experts.  We describe our experience surviving Defcon CtF.

BIO:

Dr. Cowan leads Immunix Technologies research and DARPA (Defense
Advanced Research Projects Agency) projects for WireX. He holds a
formerly full-time and continuing part-time research professor position
with the Oregon Graduate Institute, Department of Computer Science and
Engineering. Dr. Cowan has over fifteen years experience in UNIX/Linux
OS platform and software technology. Dr. Cowan developed Immunix, a
host security/survivability technology project for DARPA that includes
prominent technologies like StackGuard. He holds a Ph.D. from the
University of Western Ontario and a Masters of Mathematics from the
University of Waterloo.