List:       sg-dc
Subject:    [sg-dc] Multi-port SSL certificate??
From:       Steve Bernard <sbernard () gmu ! edu>
Date:       2003-04-06 18:40:52

We have a box with a single IP address and a single DNS name, running
multiple instances of Apache, each of which services a separate instance of
a database, i.e. QA, Test, Development.

For example, 'foo.gmu.edu:5555', 'foo.gmu.edu:5556', ...

Is it possible to have a single SSL certificate, for 'foo.gmu.edu' that can
be simultaneously used by all instances of Apache running on the box
regardless of port? I had thought that this would work, as long as the IP
and DNS name are the same, but one of our Sun engineers told me that it
wouldn't work on their boxes. I've haven't been able to find a conclusive
answer on the 'Net. Software versions are Apache 1.3.x and OpenSSL 0.9.6x,
running on Solaris 8.

Thanks,

Steve