List:       sg-dc
Subject:    [Tsg] FW: [sg-dc] MS, Sun, and TLS forward secrecy (Factoring?) (fwd)
From:       Lucky Green shamrock () cypherpunks ! to
Date:       2002-03-19 18:30:08

FYI:
------
	The description contained is incorrect. When using DH you do not
ever protect the key exchange with the RSA key - it is unrelated in that
area. Run "openssl ciphers -v" and read the output - Kx=RSA would suffer
from this issue.

	The real problem is that EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA isn't widely
implemented in servers and clients and this is the one that you need.
The other item is
how often you 'roll' the DH temporary key (there is a mode in SSLeay etc
do a single-use-reroll surprising called SSL_OP_SINGLE_DH_USE). By
default it is shared until you replace it ...

	The servers public key is *not* used in the key exchange when
using DH - it would be completely pointless to do so as that would mean
you are using RSA for key exchange.

	The TLS spec has EDH+DSS+3DES as mandatory - but no one actually
uses this (SSLeay can do it but it is lightly tested) as finding DSS
signed things is a tad usual. The next rev of the TLS spec is planned to
remove the mandatory from DH and make RSA mandatory.
-------

--Lucky