List:       serusers
Subject:    Re: [SR-Users] packets exceeding MTU size
From:       Alex Balashov <abalashov () evaristesys ! com>
Date:       2022-08-18 11:39:58

> On Aug 18, 2022, at 7:33 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:
>

> Alex Balashov <abalashov@evaristesys.com> writes:
>
> > In principle, that's right. Practically, this depends on the behaviour
> > of various intermediaries. I have seen both behaviours. In the
> > scenarios I have troubleshot, receiving only the first fragment on the
> > other side of—for example—a NAT gateway is fairly common.
>
> It is not surprising that a broken firewall or NAT causes only the first
> fragment to show up at an OS.  It might even be more likely than not
> that a given firewall is broken :-(
>
> It would surprise me if an OS delivered a UDP packet that contained the
> bytes in the first fragment only, and if so that's an OS bug.  So I
> would expect 99.9% the symptom to be that the packets don't arrive.

Yeah, that's right. A lot of the real-world UDP fragmentation issues revolve around \
operating through NATs or otherwise stateful firewalls, however.

For instance, as you may know, they are ubiquitous in the SDN architectures of the \
major public cloud providers.

> (All of this is another reason to do TCP signalling, which is able to
> negotiate MTU and not end up with IP fragmentation, but I get it that
> people have to interoperate with what the peer will do.)

There are some traditional arguments against TCP signalling in high-capacity service \
provider cores, mostly having to do with overhead, resource consumption, attack \
vectors, end-to-end latency vs TCP congestion control, etc.

These have got less salient with increases in computing power, backbone bandwidth and \
overall public Internet reliability over the last two decades. Nevertheless, some of \
them are still persuasive in various scenarios.

On the other hand, signalling from the access layer/edge to customer endpoints across \
the public Internet perhaps should be exclusively TCP or TLS at this point. The \
near-universal NATification and CGNining of such endpoints combined with the overall \
trend toward increasing SIP and SDP payloads is a particularly insulting cocktail for \
UDP.

— Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)