List:       sentry
Subject:    Re: [Abacus] Portsentry and Trusted Servers
From:       Ben Ricker <bricker () wellinx ! com>
Date:       2001-05-17 16:21:05

Bob Staaf wrote:

> Ben,
>
>      In /etc you will find a file named portsentry.ignore.  Add the IP
> addresses of the machines you want to trust there.  It will ignore port
> scans from those IP addresses.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found that file in /usr/local/etc rather
/etc. I will see if it reads that file or not at the next logcheck. Do I
need to bounce Portsentry to have it reread the .ignore file?

Another question: the routes that it DID throw in there are resisting my
effort to remove them. I am running Redhat Linux 6.2 without iptables
support. So, I went the route deny method of shutting down the hacker.
However, I cannot remove the routes that it is now denying!

I tried:

'route del -host IP_ADD' and got the message:

"SIOCDELRT: No such process"

as well as 'route del IP_ADD' and route del -host IP_ADD netmasj
255.255.255.255', etc. All failed.

Since this is a production server, I would rather not flush the routing
table since it will also flush my gateway route, bringing the server
down for a minute or so.

Any ideas?

Ben Ricker
System Administrator