List:       sendmail
Subject:    Re: virtusertable for > 10.000 domains
From:       per () erix ! ericsson ! se (Per Hedeland)
Date:       2000-07-31 20:29:09

In article <8m26sh$c8n$1@xs4.xs4all.nl> cor@xs4.xs4all.nl (Cor Bosman) writes:
>per@erix.ericsson.se (Per Hedeland) writes:
>>1) You shouldn't be looking at the local-part (which virtusertable does)
>>   for other domains than "your own" => you should specify which domains
>>   are "your own".
>
>Well, that's why they're in the virtusertable right? I dont see why you
>have to specify it again in a second file.

You do have a point there:-) - I guess the above is really a (now moot)
motivation why the virtual domains should be in class w.

>>2) Performance. Class matching is much cheaper than db lookup as it is
>>   all in-memory, i.e. avoiding the db lookup for other domains is a
>>   performance win.
>
>Seems like that would make sendmail use quite a bit of memory.

Yes, I'm not sure how much though - the size of the domain list plus
some overhead of course - 10.000 x 32 (which might be a reasonable
average for "typical" domains these days, I don't have any actual
figures) would be 320kB, say 500kB - might not be a big deal.

--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se