List:       sendmail
Subject:    Sendmail problems after Recommended patches
From:       mundru () yahoo ! com (Shivakanth Mundru)
Date:       2002-10-31 18:23:49

I have a machine running solaris 7 which has been patched(Recommended
patch cluster) recently and it runs the sendmail version 8.11.6. After
patching the original sendmail file has been renamed to
sendmail.cf.old and a new sendmail.cf file has been created. The mail
then keeps bouncing back with the following errors.

The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
< hello@yahoo.com >
(reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error)
< xyz@abc.com >
 (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error)

553 5.3.5 host.server.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)
554 5.3.5 Local configuration error

I then moved sendmail.cf.old file to sendmail.cf again and after a HUP
signal it works fine. BUt Why does th patch cluster create a new file
without checking the version of the send mail I am running. My
/etc/mail/local-host-names and sendmail.cw files look the same. I see
the following warning when I find the version of my sendmail.

Warning: .cf file is out of date: sendmail 8.11.6+Sun supports
version 9, .cf file is version 8

Is it mandatory that I upgrade my sendmail?

Thanks...