List:       selinux
Subject:    Re: Permissive mode for xace is broken.
From:       Stephen Smalley <sds () tycho ! nsa ! gov>
Date:       2008-02-28 18:51:05

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 13:48 -0500, Eamon Walsh wrote:
> Stephen Smalley wrote:

> >> It's being black-holed in rawhide.  To see for yourself, add the
> >> attached patch to the spec file and rebuild the xserver from SRPM.  It
> >> will tee the avc messages into /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
> >>

> > Looking at the corresponding code in dbus, I see that dbus is calling
> > both audit_log_user_avc_message() (if HAVE_LIBAUDIT) and
> > vsyslog(LOG_INFO...) with the message.
> >

> Should the X server do this also?  Why does it need to be logged twice?
>
> > Can you verify that the X server was able to create the audit socket
> > successfully?
> >

> Yes, because when I actually install the audit package, things started
> appearing in /var/log/audit/audit.log.  I did not have the audit package
> installed.  Why isn't it redirecting to /var/log/messages in this case?
> This is the behavior I was led to believe would happen, and this is what
> happens with kernel AVC's.

That's what I would expect, but I don't know.  Safest thing would seem
to be to follow dbus' example.  The audit calls there are also
conditionally compiled, so they can be entirely omitted on systems
without libaudit, whereas the system logging is unconditional.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency