List:       selinux
Subject:    Re: [RFC]integrity: SELinux patch
From:       Mimi Zohar <zohar () linux ! vnet ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2007-08-31 13:15:14

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 16:12 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Serge E. Hallyn (serue@us.ibm.com):
> > Quoting Mimi Zohar (zohar@linux.vnet.ibm.com):
> > > This is a second attempt to verify and measure file integrity, by
> > > adding the new Linux Integrity Modules(LIM) API calls to SElinux.
> > > This posting addresses comments previously made on this list.
> > > I will also post the current set of LIM patches, as well as an
> > > initial integrity.te example.
> > >
> > > The integrity of the SELinux metadata is verified when the xattr
> > > is initially retrieved.  On an integrity failure, normal selinux
> > > error processing occurs.
> > >
> > > This patch defines a new 'integrity' class with the permission
> > > 'measure'.  Measurement calls are made in selinux_file_mmap(),
> > > selinux_bprm_check_security, and selinux_inode_permission(),
> > > based on policy.  (Additional calls might be required.)
> >
> > Just curious - wouldn't you want to also define a 'update' permission to
> > allow policy to permit some domains to update xattrs?  Or does that not
> > make sense?
>
> Oops, I see, that's what measure is...   nm then.

A LIM provider that implements integrity_verify_metadata/data would protect
its own integrity xattrs, just as an LSM module protects its own xattrs, but
that is not an SElinux issue.  Based on a 'measure' policy, SELinux decides
whether or not to add a measurement to the measurement list and extend the
PCR value.

Mimi