List:       selinux
Subject:    Re: Error thrown during binary policy compilation
From:       Richard Stock <richardbs2000 () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-02-06 11:12:06

Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 15:52 +0000, Richard Stock wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'd be grateful for some help or at least a pointers in the right direction
>> as to why I get policy compilation errors on what seems like valid policy.
>> I'm pretty new to selinux policy so apologies if I'm missing something
>> totally obvious.
>>
>> I'm developing a very small form-factor battery powered device. My
>> version of Linux is based around a Linux from Scratch 6.2 system with
>> quite a number of modifications to incorporate the selinux framework,
>> tools, libs etc.  A work within a chrooted environment to develop the
>> system but I have one problem that is causing me grief.
>> I'm using refpolicy20061212 to help in learning policy but for some
>> reason every time I try to compile the refpolicy it throws syntax errors.
>>
>> My system has the following selinux components:
>> libsepol-1.16.0
>> checkpolicy-1.34.0
>> libselinux-1.34.0
>> libsemanage-1.10.0
>> polycoreutils-1.34.1
>> refpolicy-20061212
>>
>> By the look of things my error is throw during the compilation of
>> policy.conf into the binary policy. I have executed:
>> checkpolicy policy.conf -o policy.21 through "gdb" and the error seems
>> to occur at the call to "read_source_policy" in checkpolicy.c.
>>
>> I realise that due to the custom nature of my OS this may be a tough
>> nut to crack but I'm reasonably new to selinux policy and I'm also not
>> a parser type of person so any help would be warmly received.
>>
>> I follow the instructions from the tresys website and the command
>> "make install" fails with the following:
>>
>> -----snip
>> Creating refpolicy policy.conf
>> cat tmp/pre_te_files.conf tmp/all_attrs_types.conf tmp/global_bools.conf
>> tmp/only_te_rules.conf tmp/all_post.conf > policy.conf
>> Compiling and installing refpolicy /etc/selinux/refpolicy/policy/policy.21
>> /usr/bin/checkpolicy policy.conf -o /etc/selinux/refpolicy/policy/policy.21
>> /usr/bin/checkpolicy:  loading policy configuration from policy.conf
>> policy/modules/kernel/corenetwork.te:1409:ERROR 'syntax error' at token
>> ':' on line 7947:
>>
>> allow corenet_unconfined_type node_type:node *;
>> checkpolicy:  error(s) encountered while parsing configuration
>> make: *** [/etc/selinux/refpolicy/policy/policy.21] Error 1
>> root:/etc/selinux/refpolicy/src/policy#
>>
>> -------snip end
>>
>> I thought it may be something to do with yacc or lex so I update my
>> system to use the same versions of yacc and lex as my FC6 host where the
>> policy builds fine. Before I start drilling
>> into more detail with gdb can anyone provide some pointers.
>>
>> FWIW. The system I'm developing is bootable, stable and seems happy to
>> load a policy that
>> is compiled elsewhere.  For development purposes it would be easier to
> [...]
Stephen,
Many thanks. Well remembered! Flex was the cause of my woes.

For reference:
The problematic version of flex was 2.5.33 direct from sourceforge.
To fix I took the Fedora 6 flex src rpm (flex-2.5.4a-41.fc6)  extracted
the sources, applied all the patches that came with the source rpm,
built it, installed it and the problem appears to be gone.

Many Thanks
Richard