List:       security-onion
Subject:    [security-onion] Re: SO sensor placement
From:       "in... () friendandfamilytech ! com" <info () friendandfamilytech ! com>
Date:       2021-03-23 12:40:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hey Ben, you're absolutely right.  Although there might be some use cases
for analyzing traffic that hits the outside of your firewall, unless you
have a very large budget, and a security team with a lot of time on their
hands, you'll spend a lot of time weeding through alerts.  You might be
able to satisfy your colleagues by just ingesting firewall logs into SO
through syslog (or json if possible).  If you configure the firewall to log
packets dropped at the firewall, you'll have a pretty good idea on how much
data you would need to handle if you wanted a sensor on the outside (and
then decide to not put a sensor outside your firewall).

Good luck,

Kevin

--
Please keep in mind that Security Onion 16.04 reaches End Of Life soon!
https://blog.securityonion.net/2020/10/6-month-eol-notice-for-security-onion.html