List:       security-onion
Subject:    [security-onion] Re: RAID initial ISO SO install
From:       "'Chris V' via security-onion" <security-onion () googlegroups ! com>
Date:       2017-08-30 18:32:06

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 3:59:55 AM UTC-7, Wes wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 6:13:57 PM UTC-4, Chris V wrote:
> > Hey all, I am getting ready to work on my SO enterprise deployment. 1 master VM, \
> > 3 sensor appliances. I have the hardware now.
> > Sensors:
> > I was curious on the first initial setup regarding raid. It seems most people \
> > keep it simple with a configuration of 2 logical drives, 1 for root / and 1 for \
> > NSM. I am planning on RAID 10. My question is once I boot up the ISO and install \
> > SO, my guess is I have to either choose LVM or proceed with the "New Disk" \
> > instructions on the wiki in order to move the NSM to it? I am assuming SO will \
> > only install on the first logical drive 1. This will leave logical drive 2 for \
> > NSM.
> > https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/wiki/NewDisk
> >
> > What would be the best method/approach to proceed? I would like to have some \
> > security/redundancy for the / OS partition, but the best read and write speeds \
> > for the NSM with the ability to rebuild the NSM portion if anything ever fails. \
> > Should I just keep it a flat 1 logical drive with raid 10 for the sensors?
> > Hardware:
> > PowerEdge R530 Server
> > 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 2.2GHz,25M Cache,8.0 GT/s
> > QPI,Turbo,HT,10C/20T (85W) Max Mem 2133MHz
> > 4x 32GB RDIMM, 2400MT/s, Dual Rank, x4 Data Width
> > 6x 8TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gbps 512e 3.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive
> > RAID 10 for H330/H730/H730P (4-8 HDDs or SSDs in pairs)
> > PERC H730 Integrated RAID Controller, 1GB Cache
> > On-Board LOM 1GBE (Dual Port for Towers, QuadPort for Racks)
> > iDRAC8
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> Chris,
>
> LVM simply makes partition resizing easier for a drive if you need to do so later \
> on.  You can simply have your root/nsm drive/raid array configured separate of one \
> another, then after installing the ISO, simply perform the instructions for "New \
> Disk" that you referenced above.  Then you can run setup to finish configuring \
> Security Onion.
> Thanks,
> Wes

Thanks WES, I just realized RAID10 is killing my capacity because of the mirror. \
Looks like I am just going to stick with raid 5.

I am still tinkering with the idea if I should just do a flat logical volume and \
store the root and NSM on it.

curious to know what would be the best practice.....

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion