List:       security-onion
Subject:    [security-onion] Re: resolve ip adress in IDS alert with DNS
From:       Wes <wlambertts () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-04-21 1:00:27

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:36:16 AM UTC-4, Raphael Delaporte wrote:
> Le mercredi 19 avril 2017 22:30:49 UTC+2, Wes a écrit  :
> > On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 10:39:16 AM UTC-4, Raphael Delaporte wrote:
> > > hi everyone,
> > > I would set a resolve ip adress in Squert to show the name of computers.
> > > it is possible ?
> >
> > Raphael,
> >
> > Have you tried using a lookup from the source IP or destination IP to get what \
> > you are are looking for?  As far as DNS resolution for internal addresses, I do \
> > not believe Squert provides this - have you tried looking at Sguil for this?
> > Thanks,
> > Wes
>
> Wes,
> thanks you for this fast response.
>
> If I lookup an ip in local, I got the name of the computer because I have set the \
> DNS in configuration file "/etc/network/interface". But in Squert I only see the ip \
> adress and I need to display the names of computers and I don't know how to do.
> thanks,
> Raph

Raph,

By default, Squert does not resolve IP addresses.  You could try adding a lookup to \
achieve this.

https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/wiki/Squert#adding-your-own-pivots

Have you considered using Sguil?  It can perform DNS resolution for IP addresses it \
sees (bottom left-hand side of screen)

Thanks,
Wes

--