List:       security-onion
Subject:    [security-onion] Increasing ELSA index beyond 2.1 billion logs
From:       Gary Faulkner <gfaulkner.nsm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-08-25 22:18:51

Hello,

I seem to be stuck with a maximum index size of around 2.1 billion logs
across 2 load-balanced SO-ELSA nodes, which in my environment means an
index of about 2 days at 40K EPS. I've tried un-commenting and setting
the retention period manually to as high as 30 days, as well as
increasing the amount of disk dedicated to ELSA, currently about 17TB
dedicated to the data/nsm partition). Index is only using around 2TB and
archive is around 2.4TB at present. I also have 128GB of RAM. I've
restarted syslog-ng post changes as well as rebooted the box, but the
changes don't seem to be increasing my index size. Are there some other
settings I should be tweaking, or steps I am missing? Disk space doesn't
seem to be the limiting factor at present.

Thanks,
Gary