List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: Linux or Windows as Server-OS?
From:       Mike Vette <MVette () usa ! net>
Date:       2001-08-31 15:16:00

Ok. The easiest, and possibly the best solution had to deal with a
personal firewall. SMC makes a Barricade that is a 10/100 2/4/8 port
ether switch router / firewall that does NAT, has a DHCP host for your
internal network, has an onboard serial port for an external modem that
works just fine with all ISP's that I've tried, and - yes, there is more
- it has a built in print server. It only has one print server but that
is still one more than you currently have. You can buy one and three
port print servers for under $300 U.S. The great thing about this unit
is that it can be set to auto dial - for those in Europe - when a
connection is asked for. This will free up a machine for other duties,
like computing. Oh did I mention that the price of this unit is
generally under $100 U.S. Probably the best part is you'll be up and
running in about 10 mins.

HTH

Mike