List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: nmap -p syntax question
From:       ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo () zoho ! com>
Date:       2013-09-23 22:41:15

On 09/17/2013 02:24 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
> On 2013-09-16 ToddAndMargo wrote:
> > On the nmap command line, some questions about the "-p"
> > parameter:
> >
> > 1) what is the "-p S:xxx".  What protocol is "S"?
>
> SCTP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol, see [1,2]).
>
> > By change is it ICMP?
>
> No.
>
> > 2) when you omitt the "T:" and/or the "U:" does it check
> > both TCP and UDP.  What about the mysterious "S" protocol?
> > Does it check that too?
>
> No.
>
> > 3) is
> > -p 137,138,139,445
> > the same as
> > -p U:137,138,139,445,T:137,138,139,445
> > ?
>
> Yes.
>
> [1] http://nmap.org/book/man-port-specification.html
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_Control_Transmission_Protocol
>
> Regards
> Ansgar Wiechers

Thank you!

--
Computers are like air conditioners.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL \
certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your \
customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, \
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, \
best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing \
management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1