List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: Malware Analysis vs. Analysing a 'dirty' OS
From:       Robert Larsen <robert () the-playground ! dk>
Date:       2013-09-16 8:32:17

I tried replying to this but it seems like it didn't make it through...I
give it another shot.

Very interesting project. I am not a malware analyst but I am quite fond
of reverse engineering but reversing an entire os as a single project
will be a ginormous task. I would acquire a legit version of the os
(same version), install that and use that as a baseline. MD5/SHA all the
files and then check against the backdoored version which files have
been altered. Then BinDiff (http://www.zynamics.com/bindiff.html) the
altered files. That will probably speed everything up.

Robert