List:       security-basics
Subject:    RE: protecting web apps for governments
From:       "Ward, Jon" <Jon_Ward () SYNTELINC ! COM>
Date:       2012-06-19 17:25:17

It's not too much.  That's pretty standard, actually.  Not all code
changes will require a full penetration test, but every change needs to
be evaluated by a qualified entity to determine its potential
implications.  My team performs a hand full of testing types (automated
and manual) for each application release as an integral part of our
customers' SDLCs.  In some cases, that equates to a full pen test a few
times per year per application.  That depends on analysis of a
combination of risk factors.  For example, an application that has a
modification to some hard-coded text won't necessarily need a full
pen-test, but if that application is modified to accept new inputs or
access a database in a new way will definitely need some testing.

Due to the nature of web applications, we have the luxury of being able
to automate a large portion of security testing.  That option provides a
lot of scalability.

I work for an organization that handles this whole vulnerability testing
process.  Let me know if you'd like more info about what services we can
offer.

Jon Ward, CEPT, CISA
Syntel, Inc. - Information Security
jon_ward@syntelinc.com