List:       security-basics
Subject:    RE: Building a surveillance system for a house with a do-it-yourself NVR
From:       "Diamantopoulos Georgios \(Security Dept\)" <gdiamantop () cosmote ! gr>
Date:       2012-06-12 8:52:07

<snip>
Yes, analog cams are going to be way cheaper but you lose the metrics, notification \
,etc.  In small office environments/home you want proactive notification. <snip>

Well, this is partly correct. Most modern DVR systems provide full notification \
functionality, and apart from software motion detection they can make use of motion \
sensors embedded in cameras (which is much cheaper, simpler and accurate than \
software motion detection). They can send e-mails, SMS, upload video files to FTP \
servers and they even provide applications for iPhone and Android devices.

In any case, it depends on the particular needs. My experience with cheaper cameras \
is that the video quality would be perhaps enough to recognize someone you know (e.g. \
your brother entering the house), but it would be difficult to identify someone you \
don't know/you don't expect. To be honest, I would feel much more comfortable/happy \
with an IP only system, but the cost was way too high in my case...

Good luck!
George