List:       security-basics
Subject:    Deep Packet Inspection
From:       cybersecure4561 () gmail ! com
Date:       2011-04-05 8:14:03

I'm posting to the forum to ask the opinion of senior fw experts which firewalls \
truly perform DPI. I've done some research & it appears that their is no industry \
standard that identifies what DPI is or does.

I ask this question because Cisco IOS CBAC/Inspect or Zone Based rules do use \
signatures but do not update packet signatures. Cisco relies on the edition of IPS \
packet inspection (updates by SmartNet contract)to achieve the claim of DPI. IPS/IDS \
do have their place in the infrastructure but they are not firewall's. Enterprise \
security people would not say forget the FW let's use an IDS/IPS instead.

Do Check Point & Juniper also rely on an IPS as an integral part of DPI or is this \
function & process carried out only by the FW?

 I know that CP has bundled an IPS into their suite but their IPS is renowned for \
false positives. It's my humble opinion that in the high end firewalls Check Point & \
Juniper  really do DPI(L7).

Are their any independent organizations/labs that have tested vendor claims & \
performance of firewalls that do DPI?

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL \
certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your \
customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, \
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, \
best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing \
management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1