List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: Strange server behavior.
Date:       2010-12-28 20:57:54

 Hello Paul,

 what I regularly do is initiating a Vulnerability Scan.
 Either with tools like Metasploit/Nessus or, much easier/quicker, with
 the Free Network Vulnerability Scan from Qualys.

 You sign up for nothing and get a detailed report what have been found.
 Well ok.. Not all gathered information are shown because it's a trial,
 but mostly it should be enough for getting a hint.
 For example: For one of my servers Qualys reports that the /etc/passwd
 could be printed out via a malformed request. But doesn't show the
 gathered data (only when you're subscribed.)
 But if I visit all URLs that Qualys checked on my server containing the
 word *passwd* I get normal website content and not the file itself.

 You could also search if your website has been infected with malware.
 Although it doesn't look to me like that's the case.

 Regards,
 Christian
--
 For private mail please use my GPG-Key.
 ID: 0xB7849C76

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL \
certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your \
customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, \
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, \
best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing \
management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1