List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: Unix/Linux security events
From:       Marc Ouwerkerk <olderchurch () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-14 9:11:44

Disclaimer: I used to work for IBM.

IBM has a lot of documentation about security and security events.

Their product Compliance Insight Manager has a manual which tells you
what events you can log:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v2r1/topic/com.ibm.itcim.doc/tcim85_install100.html#wq229

Make sure you understand what you are doing. Don't enable everything,
or your system will go beserk. Rotate the logs frequently, so your
disks won't fill up. It's a good idea to use a seperate partition for
your logs.

Also different UNIX's have different settings and different quirks, so
read about the UNIX variant you are using.

HTH,

Marc