List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: Firewall positioning in Large Network
From:       Brian Laing <brian () Redseal ! net>
Date:       2007-06-27 17:41:19

Mubin,
    This is a tough question to answer without a better understanding of
your network and the various services running on it.  It also comes down to
a security methodology of do you want physical or logical separation.  For
example I prefer to have the perimeter devices as physically separate as
possible.  I have seen people connect their boarder router, F/W, and dmz
severs all onto the same core switch.  This just scares me.  I typically
like the boarder router and fw on one smaller switch and dmz on a second,
then core on a 3rd.  Not all environments can due this.
    you may want to take a look at our website http://www.redseal.net  I
would be happy to hook you up with a demo of our software, I would even do a
webex once you have it up and running to help you with this question.  Let
me know if your interested.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Laing