List:       security-basics
Subject:    RE: Firewalll LAN port and switch port
From:       "Roger Onken" <ronken () stein-industries ! com>
Date:       2006-05-31 18:59:14

mission_mink@yahoo.com wrote:

>I need technical assistance, I visited few vendors who deal
into firewaal. Few of them say they have 4 switch port and 1
LAN port, but does it make any difference since as per my
knowledge goes switch port and LAN port are one and same.

I think they are just stating they have an additional 4
ports you can connect devices to.  We have an older
Watchguard firewall that only has 3 ports - LAN, WAN and
DMZ. We have found times it would have been nice to have
additional ports to plug into for a different configuration.
The newer W'guard devices do come with additional ports
built in for additional traffic routing. They state they
have 6 ports available, but don't mention having a 6 port
'switch'.

Roger Onken

>I need technical assistance, I visited few vendors who deal
into firewaal. Few of them say they have 4 switch port and 1
LAN port, but does it make any difference since as per my
knowledge goes switch port and LAN port are one and same.

My assumption is that they mean WAN port.  Usually on
personal routers/firewalls and some higher end products they
will have a built in switch that is inside the
router/firewall and one connection that is outside the
router/firewall.

--

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA